sceme HQM - handset quality monitoring
Subscribers' views on mobile network performance are invariably shaped by how the handsets interact with the network. Ensuring high quality and smooth operation of mobile handsets is thus key to delivering mobile services of exceptional quality.
Traditionally, the quality and performance of mobile networks is assessed using network statistics and dedicated drive tests. However, such measurements do not reveal which devices are negatively affecting the overall network quality. Time-consuming and costly traces on the network would be necessary to identify and deal with such issues.
Recent investigations have shown that in many networks, the majority of quality issues are caused by a subset of devices with unsatisfactory performance characteristics.
In order to maximize the value of investments in network expansion and optimization, it is crucial to understand whether the quality of the delivered services is limited by the network characteristics or by certain devices connected to the network.
The sceme HQM client is a SIM application that listens to the mobile terminal and measures parameters related to network and service quality. Measurements can be made in both idle and dedicated modes. The applet runs in the background, and is transparent to the user. Network and service quality can be measured in home as well as roaming networks.
The efficient identification of device quality issues can help to faster understand, whether a degraded performance is caused by the network or by a limited number of devices. Time-consuming traces on the network side can be reduced and investments in network expansion and optimization can be prioritized more precisely. What-if scenarios can be analyzed to evaluate the network quality excluding single devices or handset models. This helps operators to better understand how the overall network quality is degraded by certain devices.
By correlating network and subscriber-centric information on the quality of service of their networks, the solution also allows mobile network operators to identify regions where investments in network updates and optimization will reap the highest benefits in terms of improved customer satisfaction.
In summary, handset quality monitoring offers the following business benefits to mobile network operators:
- Time and cost savings as a result of faster identification of devices that create issues in the radio network
- Avoidance of time-consuming protocol traces and evaluation in the network
- Retained customer satisfaction thanks to faster resolution and proactive customer support
- Avoidance of lost revenues and customer complaints resulting from killer mobiles which cause interference to other users connected to the network
- Maximization of the return on investment by identifying regions where investments in network updates and optimization will reap the highest benefits in terms of improved customer satisfaction
sceme HQM is available through Giesecke & Devrient's worldwide presence.